Thursday, November 13, 2008

His eyes haunt me. I can justify myself to the ends of the earth, I know. He could have used it to buy cigarettes or given it to his alcoholic father. I would have been encouraging the harassment of all white people in the Kabwe area as well as the 'culture of dependence' that is becoming so prevalent in many parts of Africa. and even if he did use it for food, he would soon be hungry again and asking for more next time. and what about all the other boys with him, i can't feed all of them! so i guiltily drank my cool coca-cola and walked away. His eyes haunt me.

"I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me." Matt 25:45

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Emily - wow. You hit that feeling right on the nose. I hope that you find in your travels that you have many opportunities to "do for the least of these". I know you will. It seems like you are having a pretty incredible experience down there - my prayer is that you continue to grow. You are pretty incredible - keep on keeping on!

Sandee Shuman said...

Hi Emily,
Just want to say that your blog is amazing. Thanks so much for sharing with us. I know that you are facing many challenges and I pray that you will sense God's very near presence and help in a powerful way. I pray too that your roommate is feeling better and that you have found some good accommodation.
Be blessed today!
Sandee