I’m in Africa. I don’t know how else to say it. I have been in Zambia for nearly 3 weeks and I’ve experienced 10 power-outages, killed more ridiculously large and hideous bugs than I can count, listened to rats going through my luggage, driven in a taxi with a maniac driver 2 hours north and on a crowded bus squished between 2 men with body odor on the way back, mopped up a flood at 4 am, learned to not expect anyone within an hour of the scheduled time, and my fellow volunteer Alisha has caught some exotic African illness (she’s recovering, thank God). Did I mention the black mamba that was killed at the orphanage I’ve been staying at after it got 3 chickens?While most of the time has been spent waiting (not for anything in particular, just everything in general), much of our time so far has been familiarizing ourselves with the many CBO’s and projects going on here in Kabwe and up north in Luanshya. We’ve been part of a couple of workshops on proposal writing, startup and management of IGA’s (income generating activities), and computer training for the guys at the Kabwe Service Center where Alisha and I will be working.
Lack of transportation has been one of our biggest challenges here so far. Since our vehicle broke down, we have had to hitchhike into town and back every day from the orphanage 10 km outside of Kabwe and have been unable to visit many of the CBOs and community schools in the surrounding area. It has also slowed our search for finding a place to live, although as of Saturday we were able to find a room in town to live in temporarily.
Prayer requests:
- For Alisha to be completely well and get her health and strength back quickly
- To find a donor for a service center vehicle
- For Alisha and I to find a decent place to live that is within our price range and close to town
- Health and protection for family and friends at home
3 comments:
Just made a read of all your posts...this is truly fantastic stuff! You are in our prayers.
Love,
Adam, Lisa, Joe, Clara
oh goodness Emily...it sounds like you are having so much fun! Wow I miss you so much and even though you seem to have been through a lot I am still very jealous and would love to be there wieth you. Well all the people from Valley View say hey...they ask about you from time to time. Well lots of love and continual prayer...miss you girl.
Heather
ems, i'm still trying to find the scorpio-spiders...i'm thinking about you all the time. things are going fairly well here. specifically since last saturday. hah! :o) i'm going to try & get elizabeth to talk to you next time. the delay was better when i had 3 people on the line...anywho. love you bunches!!!
Post a Comment